Monroe County’s Department of Environmental Services and the Towns of Chili, Gates, Riga and Wheatland and the Villages of Churchville and Scottsville have partnered to hold an appointment-only Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) collection at the Town of Chili Highway Garage, 200 Beaver Road, on Saturday, April 30, 2022 from 7:45am to 12:00pm.
Most HHW (paint, flammables, cleaners and other chemicals from home-use) is safe when used and stored properly. When they become unwanted and are disposed of improperly, these household wastes can become environmental hazards.
To ensure safety and reduce waiting times, appointments are required at all HHW collections. Appointments for this HHW collection will be accepted until Friday, April 29th. To schedule an appointment go on-line to http://www.monroecounty.gov/ecopark. This HHW collection is open to all Monroe County residents. Waste from businesses will not be accepted.
Up to 30 gallons of the following materials will be accepted per appointment at no charge:
- Oil-based & latex paint (for 1/3 gallon or less of latex paint: discard lid, add kitty litter, let dry, place in trash can)
- Wood stain & preservatives
- Automotive fluids (antifreeze; brake, power steering and transmission fluids)
- Pesticides & fertilizers
- Flammable products (gasoline, kerosene, thinners, strippers, solvents)
- Household cleaners (liquid soaps & waxes, drain cleaners, etc.)
- Driveway sealer
- Pool & photo chemicals
- Rechargeable (Ni-Cad) & button batteries
- Mercury (thermometers, thermostats)
- Syringes / sharps (safely packaged)
Do Not Bring: used motor oil & vehicle batteries (contact service station or retailer); Pharmaceutical wastes, propane cylinders (ecopark only), cans with dried paint (if it rattles when shaken – remove lid and place in trash); empty containers (trash or recycle); everyday alkaline batteries (trash); glazing / spackle & joint compounds (trash).
If residents are unable tio take advantage of this one day HHW collection, the County offers other collections throughout the year. For more information or for business waste disposal options go on-line at http://www.monroecounty.gov/ecopark.