A Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day will be held for all residents of Monroe County but specifically for the southwest region including the Towns of Chili, Gates, Riga and Wheatland and the Villages of Churchville and Scottsville. The collection, which is being provided by Monroe County, will take place at the Town of Gates Highway Department located at 475 Trabold Road, on Saturday, April 24, 2021 from 7:45 am to 12:00 pm.
This collection gives residents the opportunity to dispose of potentially hazardous chemicals in a safe manner and keeps usable items out of the landfills.
Appointments are required at all Household Hazardous Waste
Collections. Appointments for this HHW collection will be accepted until Friday, April 23rd. Waste from businesses will not be accepted.
To schedule an appointment:
■ Visit the Online Scheduler at http://www.monroecounty.gov/ecopark or
■ Call the Town of Gates at 429-8243.
Monroe County residents can bring up to 30 gallons of liquid (ex – paints) and 75 pounds of solids (ex – fertilizers, pesticides) per appointment at no charge. No 55-gallon drums will be accepted:
• Latex Paint (1/3 gallon or more ONLY)
• Oil-Based Paint, Oil-Based Wood Stain & Preservatives.
• Automotive Fluids: antifreeze, brake, power steering and transmission fluids
• Pesticides, Fertilizers & Insecticides
• Flammable Products: gasoline, kerosene, paint thinners, strippers, solvents, glues, etc.
• Household Cleaners: Soaps, waxes; chemical drain cleaners, etc.
• Driveway Sealers
• Pool & Photo Chemicals
• Rechargeable (Ni-Cad) & Button Batteries
• Mercury (thermometers, thermostats, fluorescent light tubes)
• Syringes/Sharps: packaged in clear 2-liter plastic bottles and labeled with SHARPS stickers available through pharmacies and Monroe County DES.
• Cooking Oil/ Cooking Grease
• Used Motor Oil & Lead Acid Batteries (contact service station or retailer);
• Pharmaceutical Wastes (http://www.monroecounty.gov/ecopark/)
• Latex Paint (1/3 full or less- if not dry: remove lid, put in kitty litter to absorb paint and let dty. Throw in trash. Applies to dried up paint cans as well);
• Propane Tanks
• Empty containers (place in trash or recycle);
• Everyday alkaline batteries (place in trash);
• Glazing/spackle & joint compounds (place in trash);
• Asbestos (see Yellow pages under “Asbestos Abatement”);
• Smoke Detectors (place in trash or contact manufacturer);
• Products intended for Industrial Use
• Explosives/Ammunition/Black or Smokeless Powder (Call 9-1-1)
• Shock Sensitive Materials (ie. crystallized ethers, picric acid) (Call 9-1-1)
• Electronics (see County website at http://www.monroecounty.gov/ecopark)
For more information on recycling visit the Monroe County EcoPark website above.