MONROE COUNTY, CHILI, GATES, RIGA, WHEATLAND, CHURCHVILLE AND SCOTTSVILLE TO HOST HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE COLLECTION
The Monroe County Department of Environmental Services, the Towns of Chili, Gates, Riga and Wheatland and the Villages of Churchville and Scottsville will hold an appointment-only Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) collection at the Town of Gates Highway Department located at 475 Trabold Road, on Saturday, April 30, 2022, from 7:45 am to 12:00 pm.
Most HHW (paint, flammables and other chemicals from home-use) is safe when used and stored properly. When they become unwanted and are disposed of improperly, these household wastes can become environmental hazards.
To ensure safety and reduce waiting times, appointments are required at all HHW collections. Appointments for this HHW collection will be accepted until April 29th. Go on-line to http://www.monroecounty.gov/ecopark/ to schedule your appointment. This Household Hazardous Waste collection is open to all Monroe County residents. Waste from businesses will not be accepted.
Up to 30 gallons of the following materials will be accepted per appointment at no charge:
- Oil-based & Latex Paint (for 1/3 gallon or less of latex paint: discard lid, add and mix kitty litter, let dry, place can in trash)
- Wood Stain & Preservatives
- Automotive Fluids (antifreeze; brake, power steering and transmission fluids)
- Pesticides & Fertilizers
- Flammable Products (gasoline, kerosene, thinners, strippers, solvents)
- Household Cleaners (liquid soaps & waxes, drain cleaners, etc.)
- Driveway Sealer
- Pool & Photo Chemicals
- Rechargeable (Ni-Cad) & Button Batteries
- Mercury (thermometers, thermostats)
- Syringes/Sharps (safely packaged)
Do Not Bring: used motor oil & vehicle batteries (contact service station or retailer); Pharmaceutical wastes, Propane tanks (permanent HHW facility/ecopark only), cans with dried paint (if it rattles when shaken – remove lid and place in trash); empty containers (trash or recycle); alkaline batteries (trash); glazing/spackle & joint compounds (trash).
If residents are unable to take advantage of this mobile HHW collection, the County offers other collections throughout the year. For more information, or for business waste disposal options, go on-line to http://www.monroecounty.gov/ecopark/