Building and Plumbing Inspector
Essential Job Functions:
- Reviews, check and approve plans and specifications submitted with building & plumbing permit applications for compliance with the building code, the plumbing code, zoning ordinance and applicable laws & ordinances of local & state law;
- Inspects plumbing installations to see that work is being carried out in accordance with approved plans, specifications & applicable State & Local codes;
- Issues building & plumbing permits and furnishes the prescribed certificates of occupancy upon application; obtains permits from other governmental units;
- Explains the requirements of the local building & plumbing codes, local zoning ordinance and NYS Multiple Residence Law to building & plumbing contractors and general public;
- Provides for removal of illegal or unsafe conditions and secures the necessary safeguards during construction;
- Orders unsafe condition in existing structures to be removed and arranges for condemnation notices to owners & builders of improper or hazardous structures;
- Inspects existing buildings & structures to insure their conformity with safety standards;
- Investigates complaints & assists in prosecuting violations of the building & plumbing code, and zoning ordinance;
- Maintains records of acts & decisions;
- Prepares periodic reports of buildings & structures erected or altered, of permits issued, fees collected and estimated cost of work covered for such permits to the local governing body;
- Investigates & processes applications for zoning variances.
Applicant should have thorough knowledge of modern practices, principles, materials & tools used in building construction and plumbing installation; knowledge of the NYS Multiple Residence Law; good knowledge of the building trades; working knowledge of the principles of engineering & architecture; ability to conduct field inspections; ability to communicate well orally & in writing; ability to establish & maintain cooperative relationships with other public officials, building & plumbing contractors, and the general public; ability to read & interpret plans and specifications; ability to maintain records; prepare periodic written & statistical reports; supervisory ability; honest; thoroughness; tact; good judgement; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Graduation from High School/GED, plus EITHER:
- Five years of full time or its part-time equivalent paid experience in building construction or building inspection involving plumbing facilities or plumbing installation and repair; OR,
- (B) Graduation from a regionally accredited or NYS registered college or university with an Associate’s degree in Civil, Construction, Architectural Technology, or Building Technology or a field of study closely related to these disciplines, plus three years full-time or its part-time equivalent paid experience in building construction or building inspection involving plumbing facilities or plumbing installation and repair; OR
- (C) Any equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (A) and (B) above.
NOTE: Where the minimum educational requirement is not fully met, additional appropriate work experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for general work experience.
Interested persons must submit an employment application & resume to the Town Supervisor, 3333 Chili Avenue, Rochester, NY 14624 office postmarked by July 26, 2019.
Date Posted: July 12, 2019