The Assessment Office maintains an inventory of all parcels of real property within the Town of Chili in order to establish an assessed value for the equitable distribution of property taxes.
In accordance with the rules and regulations set forth in New York State Real Property Tax Laws, the Town of Chili participates in an annual assessment program. Annual assessment involves the systematic analysis of all properties in the municipality each year to determine if they reflect current market values, making adjustments where necessary.
Changes in assessment values also occur for other reasons, such as a change in property use, assessor review request, and/or issuance of a building permit for construction or demolition.
The Assessment Office is also responsible for the receipt and administration of partial tax exemptions, as allowed under the New York State Real Property Tax Laws (RPTL), and any locally adopted options to RPTLs, for property owners who meet certain eligibility requirements.
Be sure to check out the links to the left for additional or NEW information!
2020 Town of Chili Parcel Count: 10,863
2020 Equalization Rate: 96%
2021 Date of Valuation: July 1, 2020
(See Assessment Process in Assessor Menu for additional information regarding Equalization Rate and Date of Valuation)
IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ!!!!
2021 EXEMPTION RENEWAL INSTRUCTIONS
ALL EXEMPTION RENEWAL FORMS WERE MAILED: OCTOBER 1, 2020
ANNUALLY ALL FORMS ARE DUE BY TAXABLE STATUS DATE OF: MARCH 1, 2021
DUE TO COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS AND SAFETY CONCERNS REMIT YOUR EXEMPTION RENEWAL(S) FOR 2021 USING ONE OF THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS:
Return renewal form by MAIL; completed form and copies of supporting *2019 income data (as applicable)
- Include a current contact phone number; in case we need to call regarding anything pertaining to the returned exemption renewal
- Enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope if you wish a receipt for your records (highly recommended)
- FYI, if your exemption renewal requires copies of supporting data, such as income data and you wish to make or have copies of information made, Town of Chili Library has copying services available during hours of operation; there is a nominal fee for copies
Use Town NIGHT DROP BOX; put completed form and copies of supporting *2019 income data (as applicable) in an envelope addressed to ASSESSMENT OFFICE
- Location of NIGHT DROP BOX: Town Hall, 3333 Chili Ave, just to the left of front entrance
- See above “Return by MAIL” for added instructions
BY APPOINTMENT; to schedule an appointment call Assessment Office at (585)889-6132; bring completed form(s) and all required supporting data (as applicable)
- Current COVID-19 safety measures allow for one customer at a time into office by appointment; entry into Town Hall will require you to WEAR A FACE MASK; efforts to accommodate special circumstances regarding mask-wear must be identified prior to arrival
- Exemption renewal(s) by appointment will be scheduled for a specific date at a specific time; staff will endeavor to accommodate a date and time best for you
- Appointments will begin on Tuesday, October 13, 2020 thru Monday, March 1, 2021; 30-minute appointment times will begin sharply at 9:00AM with the last available time at 4:30PM; all renewals are DUE by taxable status date: March 1, 2021
- Courtesy copying of supporting documentation, for scheduled appointments, will still be available to customers
- DO NOT DELAY completing your renewal for 2021; for those exemptions requiring income data, *the Assessor WILL NOT be accepting 2020 income, only the 2019 income data will be accepted
- BE PROMPT & BE PATIENT, the appointment window allow for processing your data and allows for staff to accomplish sanitization between visits; phone lines may be busy due to initial call volumes, please try back at a different time
- CHECK THAT YOU HAVE ALL YOUR INFORMATION TOGETHER BEFORE YOU LEAVE YOUR HOUSE, forms signed by all owners, supporting data is complete, etc.
- Incomplete forms (such as no signatures) or data (income forms) will require you to schedule another appointment to provide anything missing
- Include a current contact phone number on all forms being submitted; in case we need to call regarding anything pertaining to the returned exemption renewal
- A receipt for your records will be provided for all renewals done by scheduled appointment
PLEASE READ ALL INFORMATION SENT WITH RENEWAL FORMS!!!
These protocols have been established to provide a safe and secure environment for customers and staff alike. It is strongly advised if you are not mailing in or using the Night Drop Box, to schedule an appointment, as there will be no guarantees for available assistance on any given day for walk-in’s (no scheduled appointment). If the calendar day is full, you will be requested to make an appointment and return on another day. If the calendar isn’t full, efforts will be made to provide assistance that day. The Assessor and office staff will also attempt to reasonably accommodated various circumstances, upon prior notification, should a longer appointment time or different assistance be warranted.
ANY QUESTIONS? PLEASE CALL ASSESSMENT OFFICE: (585)889-6132
VETERANS – RESTORATION OF HONOR ACT
On November 16, 2020 New York State Department of Taxation and Finance updated the forms for the Alternative Veterans’ Exemption (RP-458-a and Instructions) and the Cold War Veterans’ Exemption (RP-458-b and Instructions) to reflect the new Restoration of Honor Act.
Please see Tax Exemption Info in the Assessor Menu (top of page, above left) for more information regarding eligibility for either the Alternative or Cold War Veterans’ exemption.
Additional Assessment Office information may be found in the Assessor Menu.
Jennie L. Miller, Assessor
Chili Town Hall, 3333 Chili Avenue
Office: (585) 889-6132
Fax: (585) 889-8710
Hours: Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.