New York State Fishing License
Who Should Obtain:
- Anyone under 16 may fish WITHOUT a license in NYS.
- 16 and older require an adult license.
- Non-residents of New York State can purchase an individual non-resident license.
Where to Obtain:
Town Clerk’s Office, Chili Town Hall, 3333 Chili Ave., Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. *Due to Covid, you will need to schedule an appointment at 889-6127. We ask that you consider purchasing through the DEC online option if possible.
When to Obtain:
A license may be obtained at any time. The license year now runs on a calendar year and the purchaser can choose when that starts.
- Identification providing proof of age
- Proof of NYS residency for residency rate (driver’s license or non driver ID issued by DMV)
For more information, visit the website: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/fishing.html
Hunting License General Information
- A hunter education course is required for anyone who cannot show proof that they have ever possessed a hunting license. Please note that their program has changed and you must download a 108 page hunter manual and worksheet that must be completed prior to attending the class. To obtain these downloads, please visit http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7860.html.
- Hunter education certificates and sporting licenses from all other states and countries are honored.
- Hunters wishing to bow hunt must take an additional bow hunter education course.
- Anyone 12 years of age or older must obtain a license to hunt.
- Hunters under the age of 16 must apply for a license in person, bring their birth certificate, and be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
- For a resident license, a person must live in New York State for more than thirty days prior to the date of application.
- Land ownership does not make you a resident. Your residency must be your fixed, permanent, and principal home.
- If under 18, the residence of your parents or legal guardian is your residence.
What if I Lose My License?
- To replace a lost license, you may contact any license issuing agent; a $5.00 fee for each license will be charged.
- To replace a lost tag, go to any license issuing agent. This includes a lost big game carcass tag set.
- Lost turkey permits are also replaced by any license issuing agent.
For more information about the various conservation licenses available, please visit http://www.dec.ny.gov/63.html