We now have an option to renew/apply  through the mail in our efforts to reduce exposure to COVID-19.  You can either mail, or put in the night deposit box, your renewal paperwork or application, along with a copy of your driver’s license. We will mail your permit  to you. 

Permits are issued by local governments and are available for any person living in the town, but you must apply to the town in which you live. Temporary or permanent permits are issued free to applicants.

The following must be brought to the Town Clerk’s Office:

  • A completed  Part 1 is filled out by the applicant. Part 2 is completed and signed by the physician.
  • Driver’s license or non-driver identification of the applicant.

Conditions for using parking permits:

  • The permit may be used to park in reserved handicapped parking spaces only when the person with the disability is driving or riding in the vehicle. Other people cannot use your parking permit!
  • Parking permits should be hung from the rear-view mirror when parked, but should be removed from the mirror when driving.
  • Only one permit is issued to an individual as that person can only occupy one car at a time. The permit can be transferred to whatever vehicle the disabled person is riding in or driving.

Lost or stolen permits:

Visit the Town Clerk’s office to replace a lost or stolen permit. You will need to sign an affidavit attesting to it being lost or stolen. A new permit will be issued for the remainder of the term of the original permit.

Can I pick up a permit on behalf of another person?

It is best if the individual is present, but you may pick up a permit for someone else. In addition to the application form and the disabled person’s identification, you will need to supply your own identification and fill out an affidavit attesting that the person currently lives in the town.

What should I do with a handicap permit of a person that is no longer living?

Please inform the Town Clerk’s office when a handicap permitted individual has passed away. You may either destroy the permit, or return it to the Clerk’s office. Please note that it is illegal for another person to use the permit!

What should I do if I move?

You should obtain a permit from the town that you moved to. We can fax the original paperwork over to your new municipal clerk’s office.